sailboat

sailboat
A warm summer's day

Sunday, November 18, 2007

McCord Musuem in Montreal

http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/


I love this site! This will engage students with sound, animation, real video, photos, and virtual tours. Look for Online Tools (on the right). Go to Edu Web and click on Games, located under See Also. The interactive games will teach history with a bit of mirth. I tried two games: Mind Your Manners 1920s and Mix-and-match Victorian fashion (I didn't fare so well on this one; I had trouble selecting the sleeves) .

On the left hand side, check out Tools Developed by Teachers, under Share (on the left). This fabulous forum contains units and individual lessons.


There are photographs, primary sources and virtual exhibits galore!

2 comments:

Deb Kitchener said...

I love, love, love virtual museeums. I do wonder however, student learners love them as much as me. I have always enjoyed browsing museums be they real or virtual. Will our learners take the time to explore all of the lovely details??

J Martin said...

Yes, I think they will do the exploring. It is important not to just give them the link and send them on their way. A history teacher at my school uses virtual musuems quite frequently. She's even had students design virtual tours as projects (great for developing critical thinking skills).Her class was in the library recently on the McCord Museum site. We gave them very specific instructions for the site. The students did do some exploring on their own.

Virtual museums need to be presented to the students in a meaningful manner, much like going on a real field trip to the ROM.