sailboat

sailboat
A warm summer's day

Monday, December 3, 2007

The Web 2.0 World

In yesterday's New York Times, writer Alex Wright draws a parallel between the modern way of communicating (blogs, Facebook, etc.) and the oral culture of ancient tribes. One professor states that Web 2.0 satisifies a primal need within us because we want to be told that we exist. It's true, anything posted on the Internet will survive time and last forever (which is a good and a bad thing).

Wright also raises concerns about what might eventually happen to our oral culture. We spend so much time talking online that we spend less and less time talking face-to-face. Web 2.0 is another form of communicating and it has changed the shape of our social landscape, but I don't think traditional forms of conversation and social exchange are doomed. Look around (even in your own library), we still need actual human contact in the non-virtual world. After having been bedridden for a number of days with sinusitis and a throat infection, I yearned to go out and talk to people.

It's an interesting read.


http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/weekinreview/02wright.html

5 comments:

Lorna Reads said...

Hi Julie. Sorry you have not been well. Hope today was a better day for you.
You raise some interesting points from the article. Sometimes I feel that we are so busy "communicating" via e-mail, when we could just stroll across the hall and be face-to-face. It is an interesting issue. I am so loving the BLOG because it gives one a forum to "communicate" with anyone or no one or everyone.
Thanks for the read
L

J Martin said...

Hi Lorna,
Thanks for the comments and your concern. I think I'm on the mend. I can't wait for my normal vim and vigour to return though.The Internet allowed me to stay connected during my convalescence. I think that we do thrive on face-to-face human contact. It is nice, however, to have many communication options. Blogging is so addictive!
-J

Deb Kitchener said...

Thanks for sharing that article Julie. Wesch is the professor who generated the video's I posted on my blog. He has some interesting ideas. Interesting how he thinks we may be losing our sense of orality because of the focus on the internet.

Lorna Reads said...

Too true. I attended a workshop tonight on Constructivism Leadership - and the acticle we studied said that relationships are key, before we can begin to learn and examine new ideas. Speaking about talking and oral. Hope ALL are healthy!
L

Lorna Reads said...

Hi Julie!

I just added to my BLOG and found your comment. Thanks so much. I always reread books. In fact, I was just reading a great book this morn - for research toward YOU-KNOW-WHAT! and although it is not particularly apropos for now - it is brilliant for struggling readers. (one of my favourite topics) It had so many cool things in it. What Really Matters for Struggling Readers (Allington) One of the points made a number of times, is that we have to teach kids to reread text - not just to reread it for meaning or clarification - but to reread again for deeper understanding.

So, to your query about me and rereading books - I am hopelessly crazy about rereading books. Some I reread all the time - sorta' my comfort food. Those I just pick up and open and start reading - an old old Bibilio on Jackie O, Little Women, Into Think Air (Krackeur sp) etc. Many news ones I will reread again as well - most of Suite Francaise a second time. I picked up her first one the other night in Chapters. I have read Despereaux (De Camillo) about ten times with kids - I love that story. I am always hunting down different picture books for "my" collection. (aimed at middle schoolers with huge lessons attached)
So, yes! I reread.

To your question about continuing the BLOG - I cannot believe you posed it. Just as I was adding my Carol link this morn, I was musing over that very thought. I think resoundingly I will. I have to start sharing it with a few trusted folks perhaps. Haven't as of yet, although I did get my husband to read it one night and he seemed impressed.

I believe I am a frustrated writer (of a certain style) and the BLOG meets that need fabously.

Will you continue YOUR BLOG?
L